Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pregnancy and Depression

October 2010 continued....

For those of you who don't know depression is something I have struggled with for a large portion of my life. From the outside you may never/have never known, however, I was in pain for many years. I have greatly overcome it and have learned to fight to be a survivor, but when it was at it's worst I spent hours a day crying and lived in a world filled with fear and anxiety. This is a world I never want to return to, so upon trying to get pregnant I was scared about having to change or stop taking my medicine. I have two wonderful doctors, my family practice doctor is Dr.Bryan Burns and he has assured me for years I can take my Lexapro when I am pregnant, but I also wanted to check with my OB. Her name is Dr.Estrada and when I asked her if I could talk to her about it before I even finished asking all my questions the words out of her mouth were DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR MEDICINE, she assured me the risks were very low and that they are risks that are involved with every pregnancy, just slightly increased while taking antidepressants, then she told me how excited she was for me trying to have a baby :-). So deciding to trust these two doctor's that I love I am still taking my medicine. If you google Lexapro and pregnancy lots of scary things pop up so when you think about it pray for me and my baby. My baby seems to be growing awesome and is very active so pray everything stays perfect. I have seen many babies be born that did not care that their Moms were on these type of medications so pray my baby is the same way and that I stay away from google search :-).

1 comment:

  1. I think its funny that doctors always tell us to stay away from google, but yet we run to it as soon as we get home. I remember I did that when I was pregnant with both boys, for different reasons.

    I am so confident this baby is going to be healthy and beautiful and I can't wait to meet him/her!

    ReplyDelete